Saturday, April 25, 2009

I miss being a kid

Ah, finally get the chance to write a short snippet amongst all the studying. A brief thought: I miss nap time, snack time, play days, and the sheer joy of just being a kid. Life gets increasingly more convoluted as each year passes. Responsibilities pile up, and it gets harder and harder to remember to enjoy life. The life of a medical school student is the worst. Don't get me wrong, medicine is my passion, but sometimes I find myself wishing I was twirling in a sea of wildflowers like I used to as a kid. I see so many of my peers get so caught up and engrossed in power and forget to be human. People aren't people anymore...they're cases. I find myself behaving in such a manner as well at times and feel deeply ashamed. When I was younger, I always had the desire to understand everything including people. To get to know who someone was and cherish the lessons, whatever they might be, that I would gain from some kind of interaction. I desperately hope to find that part of myself again.

3 comments:

  1. You should take a day out to twirl in a sea of wildflowers, just like you would if you were a child. Maybe that will help you find your inner child once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the years roll by and grow on us, one can no longer simply use time for these sorts of things - the time has to be taken. All of our time, it seems, is allocated these days and so if we want to truly enjoy life we must force (indeed even work) to make that happen; to make the time. Prioritize and make enjoyment a priority at times. Also, the passions of youth can always be reclaimed, so long as one can remember what it truly felt like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I terribly miss being a child. I don't think I appreciated it nearly enough when I was there, and now with fleeting age, oh the regret. But I think we all find some vestige of happy memories lurking in us. If we can just hold on to those, maybe we can keep the dreaming of childhood alive even as adults. Haha, don't I sound like a hippy. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete