Thursday, April 09, 2009

Fragrant Memories

It's ironic that we are made to remember when we try so hard to forget. A cool evening walk filled with endless conversation, a warm encircling embrace, a desperate plea in the form of an entreating kiss....all triggered by the scent of distant memories. No matter how much I try to block everything out of my mind, I am haunted. By what you ask? Haunted by dashed dreams and lost opportunities.
My moving day has finally arrived. Rummaging through various boxes and bags, I found a jacket, belonging to a former love, hidden beneath an old comforter. I truly believe that the way a person smells is entirely unique. You can wear the same cologne or the same perfume, but the end result is never the same. Body chemistry allows for the difference. The jacket, even after 2 years, still smelled like him. All the love, anger, and pain came rushing back in an instantaneous explosion. It was as though I was watching the past come back in front of my eyes in a fast forward motion.
The past doesn't fade. We can try all we like to lock the box and throw away the key. Bottom line...it doesn't work. In the end, we are left alone with everything. Deep down inside, I think that everyone is searching desperately for a complement to their soul's void. Someone with whom they can share all the contents of their box.

1 comment:

  1. Where are you Asami! No new posts for me to look at each morning! More, more I say! =)

    ReplyDelete