Reminiscing of a time when poetry reigned supreme and love inspired all. Why can't things ever be uncomplicated? Only one man and one woman forging an impenetrable bond of unity. The question I have running through my mind is what happened to the passionate, loyal, dare I say even noble nature of men. Now, the world seems full of men seeking to gain as many victories and treating women as nothing more than transient objects of interest. Very seldom do we see the so-called "noble" man of history. At least, we have remnants of the great men that were left behind to reassure us (we the apparent weaker sex) of the genuine existence of such men. A heartfelt, sincere letter written to his love...a view of love to desire for. I wish I could claim credit for the words below, but alas the glory belongs to Beethoven and his muse.
"Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved, now and then joyfully, then sadly, waiting to learn whether or not fate will hear us - I can live only wholly with you or not at all - Yes, I am resolved to wander so long away from you until I can fly to your arms and say that I am really at home with you, and can send my soul enwrapped in you into the land of spirits - Yes, unhappily it must be so - You will be the more contained since you know my fidelity to you. No one else can ever possess my heart - never - never - Oh God, why must one be parted from one whom one so loves. And yet my life in V is now a wretched life - Your love makes me at once the happiest and the unhappiest of men - At my age I need a steady, quiet life - can that be so in our connection? My angel, I have just been told that the mailcoach goes every day - therefore I must close at once so that you may receive the letter at once - Be calm, only by a calm consideration of our existence can we achieve our purpose to live together - Be calm - love me - today - yesterday - what tearful longings for you - you - you - my life - my all - farewell. Oh continue to love me - never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved."
ever thine
ever mine
ever ours
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

To an extent, I think I agree greatly with what you're saying, though I would take it a step further. I don't think men alone are the problem per se. The world itself has changed, leaving no place for the nobility of a more romantic time. To speak such words as those of Beethoven in our current time is just as likely to get you called creepy as to arouse the inner passion that it is intended to. When I was far younger, and less wiser, I tried writing poetry for a love, only to have it backfire miserably. Now, that could very well have been it was horrible poetry, but my inkling is that we just don't live in a time when the romantic fantasy is wanted. Now, we tend to find attractiveness in the mundane and superficial, whether that be fleeting physical beauty or wealth. At times, our heartfelt writings are so..wonderful, the target of them just can't believe them. It's a tragedy in and of itself. - jsn
ReplyDeleteAs a whole, it seems that the romantically noblesque aspect of man's spirit is fading away. As two seperate aspects, the nobility of man is no longer highly valued and thus falls aside for greed and other passions. Then also, the romantic side of relationships has shifted focus - but are still sometimes there. There are still romantics in the world, as I count myself amongst them.
ReplyDeleteHowever, you also have to keep in mind that communication has changed. People communicate so freely and easily now that a long letter expressing one's deepest love is simply impractical. Yes, on occasion, one might write such a letter in order to please their love - but in the end it is only for that purpose. In the olden days people had to write such long letters, for it took weeks to even receive it. Now people are content with "Hi, luv u, ttyl l8ter!" This, isn't a good thing for relationships at all - the increase in quantity of communication has been a detriment to its quality. However, people find other ways to be romantic.
But with all that said, I still agree that there are fewer and fewer romantics, and mankind as a whole no longer seems to care about being noble. It's a shame, since mankind has so few other redeeming qualities that might be possessed. It's a shame to throw one away.