I am apparently the world's worst blogger. I don't know how long it has been since I have taken my head out of a textbook and let myself pour thoughts out onto a computer screen. Moments like this are slowly becoming a luxury. What shall I write about today? There are so many issues bombarding every part of my already saturated brain. Belief or rather the idea of knowing what I believe in has been particularly prevalent amongst my thoughts. What do I believe in? It's a fundamental question that we all struggle with each and every day. Sometimes I feel that all the responsibilities and all the pressure to succeed make me forget about who I am as an individual and what constitutes my character. Lately, I've become more and more unfocused from feeling lost and unsure of who I am. Erickson would say it's appropriate. This is the time of my life where I am supposed to be having an identity crisis and to be otherwise would be abnormal. We all know the basic sensory things about ourselves...what we like to eat, what we like to listen to, what sights are pleasant and so on and so forth. I love pasta, I love soft music, I love watching rain move across a body of water. It's a much harder exercise to think about what we feel strongly about and what has shaped us to feel such intense emotion.
Why bring up such an obvious statement? Who knows, perhaps I'm just venting. Someone recently asked me to not be so passionate about my belief in self-expression. Frankly, it was as though they had asked me to not be myself. There are things that I adamantly believe in that I won't back down or compromise for anyone. How we express ourselves and our opinions are a direct reflection of our souls. I truly believe that. What else do I have to say today.....
“I hold a beast, an angel and a madman in me, and my enquiry is as to their working, and my problem is their subjugation and victory, downthrow and upheaval, and my effort is their self-expression.”--Dylan Thomas
On a side note, everyone should check out Kris Delmhorst. I think she's great.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

One needs things about which they feel passionately, without those things - we really have nothing that we can truly call our own. It is these passions, these true interests that carry us onward.
ReplyDeleteYet still, even with their importance being so profound to us...they sell for so very little. Our adherence to our true passions is our true integrity and it is sad that they often sell so easily and once sold.. cannot be easily reclaimed.